One Dead, Two in Hospital After Stabbing Rampage in Melbourne CBD

Share

A man has killed one person and wounded two in a knife rampage in Melbourne that police are treating as a terror attack. Some witnesses said the auto exploded before the man began stabbing people.

The incident took place at Bourke Street as reported by Victoria Police.

A man tries to help police, pushing a trolley at the attacker.

While Suki Singh told SBS News he saw a "massive fire" with "police everywhere" near the corner of Bourke and Swanston Streets. Supt Clayton confirmed that when officers arrived, they were quickly cornered by the armed man as the situation escalated. In video of the incident, the suspect approached the officers baring a large knife, making several attempts to stab them before an officer shot him in the chest.

A man has reportedly been gunned down by police after a auto crashed and burst into flames on Bourke Street Mall.

Mr Clayton said investigators did not believe there were any other assailants.

We're live with Superintendent David Clayton following an incident on Bourke Street in the CBD this afternoon.

Another dramatic video shows two presumably plain-clothes police officers arresting the attacker after he was shot.

"A small number of people are being treated for stab wounds. A third person has also been taken to hospital".

Three found dead in collapsed buildings in Marseille, search goes on
The buildings - one condemned and apparently vacant, the other containing apartments - collapsed at about 9am on Monday. According to AP, one of the houses were five-storied, the other had six floors.

"Police are aware of an incident in the vicinity of Bourke Street", Victoria Police have said in a statement.

On Friday, Police Commissioner Graham Ashton said the suspect had moved to Australia from Somalia in the 1990s.

Three people were stabbed by the suspect, all of them men, police said.

Police initially responded to reports of a auto on fire at the corner of Bourke and Swanston streets.

A police spokesman later said that authorities are not looking for any other offender, adding that the investigation is at the "very early stage", and that there is "no known link to terrorism" so far.

The attacker, who police said was 31, died in hospital, as did one of the victims, Ashton said.

Warning text messages were sent after the attack and police sealed off the downtown area, usually busy with shoppers and diners on a Friday evening.

They park their police vehicle just behind the burning ute and are immediately attacked.

Friday's attack is a double blow for the city as it coincides with an ongoing the murder trial of 28-year-old James Gargasoulas, who ploughed his auto into crowds in the same area in 2017, killing six people.

Share