Man reportedly eats strawberry with needle inside, police confirm 4 ‘contamination’ incidents

Share

As a precaution, Queensland Health's chief health officer, Jeanette Young, advised people in the states of Queensland, Victoria, and NSW on September 12 to throw out their strawberries that were bought early last week, the Herald Sun reported.

Queensland Police Service's Detective Acting Chief Superintendent Terry Lawrence encouraged anyone with information that could help the investigation to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

At this stage police are unsure if the cases are related or copy-cat incidents.

"We then checked the other strawberries and found another sewing needle lodged inside one of them", Gane added.

While the brands behind the initial incident were taken from shelves, authorities said the affected punnets would have expired, but people should check their fridges and freezers for stored strawberries and dispose of them.

Queensland police and Australian Border Force officers inspected the farm at Wamuran, north of Brisbane, on Thursday where the contaminated berries came from as they hunted for the culprit.

Rowling said reports from people associated with the farm and Queensland Police had indicated a disgruntled former employee might have put the needles in the fruit, but the association was waiting for the police to complete their investigation.

"We are now working with retailers nationwide to ensure that all Donnybrook stock is removed from sale", Dr Young said.

A nine-year old boy bit into a contaminated fruit but did not swallow.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic scores stunning 500th goal
Galaxy were 3-0 down at the time but his goal sparked a comeback as they drew level before finally losing 5-3. In doing this, Zlatan , known for scoring the most outrageous goals, added one more to his collection.

Consumers in Queensland have been told to return or discard fruit due to the harmful contamination after a customer was rushed to a hospital after swallowing part of a needle in a strawberry.

Strawberries from Berry Obsession and Berry Licious have been contaminated with sewing needles.

Investigators have also now confirmed a fourth contamination incident as having occurred in a punnet of strawberries.

"We are now at the ER because he subsequently started experiencing severe abdominal pain", he continued. "It makes it hard because you might need to dispose of them earlier, but just cut them up for safety's sake".

In a follow-up statement released on Facebook Thursday, the group said the strawberries were seemingly "interfered with between the time they were packed and the time they were purchased".

Queensland Strawberry Growers Association issued a statement saying they "have reason to suspect that a disgruntled ex-employee may have orchestrated the occurrence", but Det.

Stevenson immediately called her son's school and told them to stop her son from eating the strawberries.

"People are contacting us out of concern and saying: 'This is what I've got, what do you think?'", he said.

In the post, Ms Faugeras says her 10-year-old discovered a pin embedded in a strawberry while eating a punnet they had bought from Coles at Wingham.

Share