Authorities have so far refused to reveal the man's identity and the name of the restaurant.
Health officials say that the man's death was caused by a bacteria known as Vibrio vulnificus, which is commonly found in oysters and other types of seafood.
Vibrio vulnificus is a bacterium that lives in warm, brackish seawater, according to the department of health.
Love's is giving away free hot dogs on Wednesday
Hot-dog lovers can get two hot dogs for $5 at all Portillo's locations from Monday, July 16, to Sunday, July 22. At 7-Eleven, you can get a $1 Big Bite hot dog at participating 7-Eleven locations across the United States.
Vibrio vulnificus is sometimes referred to as a "flesh-eating bacteria" but health officials say that label is misleading because it can not attack healthy skin. In 2016, Manatee County had two cases, while Sarasota County had three cases and one fatality. Officials say people can get infected by eating raw shellfish, particularly oysters, or by swimming in the ocean with open wounds.
Pasco County has had no cases in 2018, and one non-fatal case each in 2017 and 2017.
This is the first confirmed case of the Vibrio bacteria this year in Sarasota, according to Florida Health. "You have to have a pre-existing cut-or you have to eat raw, contaminated seafood or chug a whole lot of contaminated water-for it to get into your bloodstream; it can't break down healthy, intact skin". "Septicemia can be characterized by fever and chills, occasionally accompanied by vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and pain in the extremities". They also advise people with weakened immune systems to wear proper foot protection on the beach to prevent cuts and injuries from rocks and shells. The bacteria does not change the appearance, odor or taste of an oyster.